Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, March 1, 2012

That's the Point!

That's what's outside my front door???
Maybe I'll just go back inside.
Joy here...While Sunday's ski was invigorating and exciting, the rest of the week unfolded with snow, snow, and more snow.  Each time I tried to get the energy up to head out the door for a run, I would open the door, be faced with a veritable blizzard, and simply turn right back around inside and settle down on the couch.

Now that's no way to get me to the finish line of a 1/2 marathon with a smile on my face, which is my key goal for this end-of-May running race that I've signed up on, and I know it.  But there's often a difference between what one knows one should do and what one actually gets out the door and does.

And so while I grappled with that dichotomy between knowing better, but not doing better (thank you Oprah for that phrase, which I've mangled), I did get to my spinning class on Thursday morning, followed by my strength training session on Thursday afternoon.  My spinning instructor is a really great, inspiring cancer-survivor who makes my Thursday morning awesome each week, and my Trainer is now a good friend.  So between these two women kicking my butt at different times on a Thursday, I began to feel better and better...maybe there is something to that mission statement of the gym where I go for my Thursday morning and afternoon boost of energy, pain, endorphins, and confidence:

Commitment to the Process.  Commitment to oneself.  Commitment to the Commitment.  That's the Point.

Got it!
Over and out,
Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment