Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sickie Poo

Supplies for the Sickie Poo!
Joy here...My last workout was 10 days ago when I went for a -8C 7km run with a friend.  That was Sunday, February 5th, and it's now Thursday, February 16th, and I got back in the proverbial saddle again.

What's slowed me down?  Well, let me tell you...I have been SICK.  And I don't just mean a little bit of the sniffles, or some scratchiness in my throat.  I mean that I had the kind of wheezing and fluid in my lungs that I've never experienced before.  My head was full of cotton; my nose was full of snot; and my throat was full of phlegm.  Not pretty.

But yet I still had loads of work to do, and even had to travel out of town for a friend's wedding (where I tried not to spew germs all over her wedding guests, but no doubt they all have my symptoms now...sorry about that).  In between just trying to keep my head above water work wise, and meeting our social obligations, I wallowed in self-pity and tried to find time to curl up on the couch with my box of kleenex and a good book.

The gym set up to torture...ahem, train...us.
Today that has all come to an end.  I missed last week's spinning and strength session on Thursday, because I just couldn't bring myself to get up and out of the house, but today, I made it to both.  My spinning class was a strength ride, and in between coughs, I did my best to ride along as though I wasn't sick and coming off a 10 day workout hiatus.  And then in the afternoon we had our strength training session, where The Trainer worked us as hard as she usually does, but in the end, let us go a whopping 2 minutes early when I could barely get myself up off the bosu ball!

But today marks my return to workouts, and as this cold works its final way out of my system, I'll be back at it trying to get myself into some kind of shape for my upcoming 1/2 marathon (and then the full marathon and maybe some time trials and IronMans in my future...it doesn't hurt to have goals, does it?).

So this sickie poo is turning a corner...cough, cough, cough...

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment