Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hot Afternoon Run...and Emergency Potty Break!

Joy here...at the spur of the moment The Man, his friend, and I all decided to go for a run around that same 3km loop that Nomi and I just ran.  However, when Nomi and I did that run, it was still pretty early in the morning.  Granted, the sun was up already, but it's wasn't mid-afternoon sun.  Not so much for our trio's little run yesterday.  We figured it would be good to run in the late afternoon since we have to get used to running in the heat of the day; our 1/2 marathon (gulp! next weekend!) is in the evening, and the heat coming up off the asphalt promises to be sweltering.  So we've got to be prepared for it, right?  Anyway, that was our thinking.  So off we went...
The view from our running loop!
...into the sweaty, humid, hot afternoon.  The boys went off ahead while I waited for my Garmin to pick up the satellites, and then I trundled on behind them.  I seemed to be going at a quicker pace than they were, because I was able to catch up with them without too much trouble.  But then some trouble started as we finished our first loop...
Look at that humidity!
...trouble of the tummy variety.  So as we came around at the end of that first loop, and I could see the golf club open to us like the open arms of a warm embrace (and a toilet in there somewhere), I turned off and let the boys keep running, while I did my own little sprint to find the closest potty I could before whatever it was that I ate that wasn't agreeing with me made its nasty appearance.  After safely expunging said innards, I was able to start running again.  So out of the golf course I went, and up the hot, sweaty hill I ran...
It's steeper than it looks!
...but I couldn't catch the guys.  My emergency potty break had given them too much of a head start, so I just ran to the top of the hill, turned around and ran back, figuring I'd meet them going the opposite direction.  And I did.  However, I only met The Man on his way back up, but his friend was done with running for the day, so I continued on in one direction, The Man in the other, and I met up with the friend and we walked and stretched until The Man rejoined us.

Then we all came home, showered, and had dinner...this time I cooked it, so there will be no emergency potty breaks today!

My hot afternoon run stats are:
Ran for a total of 27:43:56 for a distance of 4.9kms with an average pace of 5:42min/km.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment